Monday, October 31, 2016

Oak Mill Mall: Stepped Back In Time


          Oak Mill Mall, now Oak Mill Plaza, originally Candlelight Court, is an enclosed mini mall in Niles, Illinois at the corner of Oakton Street and Milwaukee Avenue, hence the name "Oak-Mill". I have driven past this place for years with my family, and finally got to go inside earlier this month.

          Oak Mill has such an old feeling to it while walking around inside, between the flooring, many live plants, the choice of color and texture used throughout, is something that is disappearing in the modern age of retail design.

Here is my original post of this mini mall from December 2014, featuring photos from June 2013.




The photo below inspired the title of this post, a "step back in time" as I consult the map upon the socle, coddled by palms and ferns with the parquet beneath my feet.



Not very many people are here for a Saturday afternoon, but much of Niles shopping is done at Golf Mill Mall a few blocks North on Milwaukee.


I did witness something I will never forget from my visit here, as a group of older, stereo-typically Chicago men were socializing around a table outside the Minelli deli, a scene straight from Saturday Night Lives Bill Swerski's Super Fans skits!





Thank you for reading Trip to the Mall and continue to follow us on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment