Friday, July 24, 2015

Witmark is Still Visible in Grand Rapids, Michigan


          Well known to the shoppers of Western Michigan for nearly 30 years, in Plainfield Township outside Grand Rapids may be the last sign of recognition of what was Witmark Catalog Showroom. I saw the store late at night in December 2014 and was very pleased with how the rather "apocolypic" photos came out, no parking lot lights were on and the flash of the camera and headlights of the car both reflected off particles in the air to create orb's.

          The chain was in operation from 1969 until 1997, so this sign has been up as long as I have been around!, that is really saying something, I guess its up to the owner of the building to take it town or not, some places the day after it closes, the sign comes down, and the scar gets painted over, I guess its really up to the town.










Thank you for reading and please feel free to share your memories of the store below in the comments.

1 comment:

  1. I remember Witmark in holland michigan as a kid, my mom would take me there, she bought me a small dinosaur plush which i still have. I remeber it shut down and was turned into a chinese buffet

    ReplyDelete